Monday, January 11, 2010

Lost Mountain

Erik Reese brings up a lot of good points about the destruction of mountaintops. The problem that it causes on the environment and the animals that live in the forest are not to be overlooked. As I am reading Lost Mountain it is making me more aware of the trouble and problems that mountain top removing is causing. The homes that are in the area of Lost Mountain are at risk of cracking walls and shifting the base and foundation of the house that can cause it to fall or become almost useless. The streams that are buried and valleys that are filled are not worth it. The wildlife and trees that are being destroyed is not healthy for humans and animals. I thought he brought up a good point about how coal companies will destroy the land and then try to rebuild it and call it a tourist attraction. And that it can be used for ‘public use’. I knew that strip mining wasn’t good but I was unaware of the destruction and desolation that it causes in a beautiful forested area. The process of strip mining is devastating to the Appalachian Mountains.

I was in a category of ‘didn’t care’. This was because I was unaware of the facts and the true desolation of the forests and effects on the forest and wildlife that strip mining has. I am still undecided about the issue but I do think that it needs to be taken care of sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment